Evidence-Based Therapy for Children
Overview: This 2-day training program prepares therapists and clinicians to use an innovative and evidence-based form of therapy for children. Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, or TF-CBT, is specifically adapted for children who have experienced trauma and who are having significant emotional and/or behavioral problems related to their traumatic life events.
What is TF-CBT?
TF-CBT is a psychosocial treatment model designed to treat post-traumatic stress and related emotional and behavioral problems in children. Initially developed to address the psychological trauma associated with child sexual abuse, the model has been adapted for use with children who have a wide array of traumatic experiences, including domestic violence, traumatic loss, and the often multiple psychological traumas experienced by children prior to foster care placement. Learn more about TF-CBT.
Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
June 6-7, 2019 | Embassy Suites Columbus
2019 Updated Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Training! This 2-day training prepares clinicians to begin the practice of Trauma-Focused CBT. See below for links to Certification criteria.
The event qualifies for 11 CEUs (5.5 each day) for Ohio Social Workers and Counselors, in addition to CEUs earned for online pre-course requirements.
2-Day Registration Fee – $250
Includes venue, all onsite training materials, access to trainer’s shared resources. Options for low-cost breakfast and lunch buffets available.
- Identify ways that traumatic experiences have the potential to impact child development and health throughout the lifespan.
- Cite at least two key research studies that demonstrate the potential impacts of childhood trauma on the lifespan.
- Explain why trauma-informed care is so vital, and distinguish between traditional mental health treatment and trauma-informed care.
- Describe the nature of the research that supports the efficacy of TF-CBT.
- Identify and define each component of the TF-CBT model.
- Recognize the importance of respectful and empowering client engagement in the treatment process.
- Understand the rationale behind each TF-CBT component and be able to use at least 3 tools or strategies for each of the model’s components.
- Access and practice trauma focused assessment tools.
About the Trainer
The training is conducted by Kristine Buffington, MSW, LISW-S, a certified TF-CBT trainer. Kristine is considered an expert in trauma informed care and trains providers, courts, agencies, and therapists nationwide in TF-CBT under the direction of Judith Cohen, MD and Anthony Mannarino, Ph.D., the developers of this treatment model. Kristine served as Chair of the Ohio Department of Mental Health Child Trauma Task Force Training and Evidence Based Practices Committee. She is a former member and past chair of the National Child Traumatic Stress Network (NCTSN) Juvenile Delinquency Committee. Kristine also facilitates to the Crisis Management Learning Community of OACCA, where she works with over a dozen providers to implement strategies to reduce use of physical restraint and seclusion of children in residential and day treatment settings.
2019 Training Dates in Columbus, Ohio